Introduction

Friends, welcome to the world of embroidery.



I am trying to put in here simple videos that would teach some basic freehand embroidery stitches. I would also put in details of varieties of embroidery of India with pictures - some that I have collected and some that I have done myself.








Sep 3, 2011

Introduction to Freehand Embroidery

Friends, welcome to the world of embroidery.

Embroidery is an art of decorating fabrics or other materials with decorative stitches done with needle and thread.

In this program, I am introducing you to freehand embroidery here. Hope the pictures and videos that I put in here are helpful. I know that there are lot of resources on this subject all over the Internet world. I am designing and publishing this blog as part of an assignment towards an e-Learning program that I have taken up. I am planning to publish related posts cogently for some time till the end of this year. May be I will continue this based on reader response. If a new comer follows this blog, I expect her/him to learn the basics of embroidery. I welcome your ideas and feedback.

Free hand embroidery is that form of working an embroidered motif (design) based on free hand drawing. Here is a picture of free hand embroidered piece that I have done.



When we say free hand embroidery, we get a doubt if there is something else too!! Yes. The other type of embroidery is the counted thread embroidery. Cross stitches come under this category. Here, to make a motif, you have to count the number of stitches for each colour or thread and for each row of stitches to get the pattern intact. Such an embroidery is worked on fabrics called matti-cloth or similar ones that have a specific number of holes per inch which makes counting easy. Here is a picture of a counted thread embroidery piece done by my mother. This is a border of a pillow cover.


I will be back in a couple of days and let you know what all is coming up in this blog. The next topic will discuss the contents of this blog.

1 comment: