Introduction

Friends, welcome to the world of embroidery.



I am trying to put in here simple videos that would teach some basic freehand embroidery stitches. I would also put in details of varieties of embroidery of India with pictures - some that I have collected and some that I have done myself.








Oct 9, 2011

Chain Stitch

With tiny chain stitches you can create beautiful patterns. I have done this 'KOLAM' embroidery in chain stitch, with single strand of thread throughout.


Here are a couple inspiring embroidery in chain stitch.



1. Thread a needle with 2 strands of Anchor stranded cotton thread.
2. Tie a knot at the other end of the thread.

Note: As you do the embroidery, the thread becomes shorter. When about 3 inches of the thread is left in the needle, push the needle to the back side of the cloth and tie a knot. Take another length of 2 strands of thread and start stitching from the point you left earlier.

Here is the video demo for you to learn the stitch.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing way to use the chain stitch, never realised a traditional kolam can be made to look so beautiful.

    Please post more designs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all your work, I loved this one the most..Very beautiful and creative..Wish u put up a followers tab so that it is easy to stay updated with ur blog

    ReplyDelete